Removing Stains from Vintage Clothes ~ Case of The 1960s Dress


Welcome. Today I’ll be talking about how
I fixed up this 1960s dress. I bought it about a year ago and it was pretty
damaged at the time. It had pen marks, rust stains, the beading around the neck was
hanging off instrings. Here you see some of the details. I love the
beading at the neckline. It is from Bullocks of San Fernando Valley. It is union made. On the
inside there’s this interesting belt -like contraption that you put around
your waist and it actually holds up the beading that goes across the waistband
and so you first loop it and attach it before you zip up the dress. There’s
the beading that it connects to on the outside of the dress. Here is where
the beading was hanging off of the dress. Back when I bought it, I did fix it up
and I found that the white string disappeared the most into the beading
and the fabric detail here. I just stitched it up. I had to space the beads
out as I did it so that it would match how it was in the rest of the pattern. There
you see a few rust stains that are still there in the dress – I’m going to
show you how I touched up rust stains that were all over the dress. I super
gently worked lemon into the rust stains and there you see I kind of pinched to
really target the area in particular so that it wouldn’t spread out more of the
garment if possible. And here I did a pinching technique so I kind of
alternated dabbing with the substance to remove the stain and then pinching at it
to remove any stain and excess lemon. In my research, I
found that lemon or lime work best with rust stains. There’s a spot on the
interior of the dress that I also treated. I would dab with lemon and
then I would alternate it with dabbing it with water just because I was nervous
about the substance sitting too long in the vintage fabric. There you can see
it’s kind of unavoidable – it spread out a bit. And so I would dry that off once I
have all the lemon on there I would dab it with a lot of water and then I would
dry it so that hopefully no water stains would be created. There’s after. It’s
looking a bit better and as you can see on the interior, there’s still a little
bit of rust stains and places that I didn’t target as much but I was worried
about the fabric becoming too delicate. There was where one of the big pen marks
was when I first bought it and on the back there was a second pen mark. And so
you can kind of see the faint blue left over. I’m going to demonstrate what I did
here to remove the pen mark. I researched and found out that rubbing alcohol best
removes pen marks and so there I’m dabbing with the very corner. I’d folded
up a paper towel and dabbed the very corner of it into rubbing alcohol and
then I was dabbing and pinching at the stain. That’s how I really target it
in those specific areas of fabric. And there you can see how much it really
changed after working on it with the rubbing alcohol. There I fixed up a
little bit of the clasps of the interior. And here I’m just so happy how much it
improved after treating the stains. This is not a dress that I would really wash
or I’m even nervous to take it to the dry cleaners since I have heard that
vintage beading shouldn’t go through the dry cleaners, so I have just spot
cleaned it and treated the stains. It is important to do your
research before treating or cleaning any vintage garment. There it is! Tada!
And next time I’ll be talking about some vintage jewelry I have and how I take
care of it. Join me for that.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *